The skills that help you succeed at law school aren't always the same ones you need to succeed in practice. To help you bridge the gap, I've created a six week program to help you make the transition into your first job at a law firm.
Over the course of six weeks (from Thursday, May 6, 2021 to Thursday, June 10, 2021) we'll cover six practices that you can develop right now that will set you up for success at your law firm. They are:
- goal setting
- time management
- effective writing
- persuasive speaking
- learning from feedback.
I bring my experience of 10+ years in private practice plus my experience coaching law students and lawyers to share strategies and insights that will help you skip over unnecessary setbacks and focus on your growth.
Register now to secure your spot!
C$350 including GST
Learn a collection of skills that will serve you throughout your professional life. Check out the curriculum below.
Apply those skills over six weeks in a supportive environment through fun and practical challenges.
Have a space that is not school or work where you can ask questions, experiment and learn skills to succeed in practice.
When and how long is the course?
The course begins on Thursday, May 6, 2021 and ends on Thursday, June 10, 2021. There will be a live one hour Zoom class each week on Thursday at noon PT followed by 30 minutes of live coaching and questions.
What if I miss a class?
Classes will be recorded and the video recordings will be posted on the learning platform.
Is there homework?
Students will receive assignments (optional) each week that encourage them to apply the skills they learn in class.
Will I get a grade?
No. One purpose of this course is to promote self-directed learning and self-evaluation. You will decide what your goals are for the course and you'll decide how you perform in relation to them.
What equipment do I need for this course?
The course will be done virtually, with live Zoom calls. The course materials are hosted on a cloud based learning platform. The proposed assignment would be done on a laptop or PC. If that's not an option, we can figure something out.
Do I need to be working at a law firm to take this course?
No. This course is designed for students who are working in a law firm or other professional environment. It is also suitable for students who are not yet working at a law firm and want to get a head start preparing.
I am an internationally trained lawyer. Can I take this course?
Yes. The nature and material covered in this is course will help you build confidence and develop skills to thrive in a professional environment.
- Tips to Make the Most of This Program
- Introduction - Course Overview, Themes, Goal Setting
- Goal Setting - SMART Goal Handout
- DISC Handout
- Assignments for Week One
- Week 2 - Your Professional Relationships || Creating a Market for Your Work
- Links to On Line Resources - Creating a Market for Your Work, Career Strategies for Associate Lawyers, Mentoring
- A Law Student's Guide to In Firm Interviews
- Strategies for Managing Time and Expectations Around Work Assignments
- Assignment for Week 2
- Week 3 - Professionalism and Time Management
- Hyperlinks to Time Management Resources
- Time Management Self Assessment
- Assignment for Week 3
- Week 4 - Writing (Video)
- Writing Resources
- Self Assessment Form for Editing Written Work
- Week 4 - Writing Assignments
- Week 5 - Effective Speaking (Video)
- Effective Speaking - 7 "C"s Worksheet
- Effective Speaking - Questionnaire
- Speaker Training - Best Practices (Handout)
- Resources (Links to Ted Talks)
- Assignment - Presentation Assignment
- Week 6 - Feedback (Video Recording)
- Copy of HBR - The Feedback Fallacy - Week 6
- Copy of Resources
- Copy of Feedback Worksheet
Paula is a lawyer and ICF certified executive coach (ACC). She helps lawyers and law students thrive by creating unique, high impact on line programs that build on her experience as a lawyer and lawyer coach while connecting people and ideas by virtual means. Paula is passionate about helping others thrive and invites you to join her learning community.