This six week program runs from Thursday, June 4 to Thursday, July 9, 2020.
Register by Friday, May 29, 2020 to secure your spot!
C$189 including GST
Build your professional and social network. Believe it or not, this is an ideal time to do it.
Learn a collection of skills that will serve you throughout your professional life. Check out the curriculum below.
Apply those skills over six weeks in a supportive environment through fun and practical challenges.
Have a space that is not school or work where you can ask questions, experiment and learn skills to succeed in practice.
When and how long is the course?
The course begins on Thursday, June 4, 2020 and ends on Thursday, July 9, 2020. There will be a live one hour Zoom class each week on Thursday at noon PT. There will also be office hours each week where students can drop in and ask questions.
What if I miss a class?
Classes will be recorded and the video recordings will be posted on the learning platform.
Is there homework?
Students will have one hour of instruction plus assigned "tasks" each week. The "tasks" will take about one hour and they're intended to promote the application of skills learned. Students can do more or less depending on their other commitments.
Will I get a grade?
No. One purpose of this course is to promote self-directed learning and self-evaluation. You will decide what your goals are for the course and you'll decide how you perform in relation to them.
Will I interact with other students?
You will be assigned to a small group of students that will become your team. There will be opportunities to discuss and work with your team. What you discuss is confidential. Your team will support you and your learning. You will not be "handing in" any traditional "group work". You will also have access to the class list (of students who consent to having their names on the list).
What equipment do I need for this course?
The course will be done virtually, with live Zoom calls. The course materials are hosted on a cloud based learning platform. The proposed assignment would be done on a laptop or PC. If that's not an option, we can figure something out.
What if I can't afford the course.
No problem. These can be tough times. Send me an email and we'll sort it out. email@example.com
Do I need to be working at a law firm to take this course?
No. This course is designed for students who are working in a law firm or other professional environment and those who are not. Recognizing that some summer programs will not be running this year or that students may not yet have law firm jobs, this course is designed with task-based learning projects that can be done whether or not you're in a law firm.
I am an internationally trained lawyer. Can I take this course?
Yes. The nature and material covered in this is course will help you build connections with colleagues, build confidence and develop skills to thrive in a professional environment.
- Course Calendar (with Zoom Meeting Links) and Overview
- Full Zoom Meeting Links for Classes and Office Hours
- Tips to Make the Most of This Program
- Initial Questionnaire
- Class List
- Introduction - Course Overview, Themes, Goal Setting (June 4, 2020)
- Speaking Notes - Introduction to Course
- Goal Setting - SMART Goal Handout
- DISC Handout
- Assignments for Week One
- Week 2 - Virtual Connection and Creating a Market for Your Work (June 11, 2020)
- Links to On Line Resources - Creating a Market for Your Work, Career Strategies for Associate Lawyers, Mentoring
- A Law Student's Guide to In Firm Interviews
- Strategies for Managing Time and Expectations Around Work Assignments
- Slides from Week 2
- Assignments for Week 2
- Week 3 - Professionalism and Time Management (June 18, 2020)
- Hyperlinks to Time Management Resources
- Time Management Self Assessment
- Assignment for Week 3
- Week 3 - Professionalism and Time Management (Slides)
- Week 4 - Writing (June 25, 2020)
- Week 4 - Writing (Slides)
- Writing Resources
- Self Assessment Form for Editing Written Work
- Week 4 - Writing Assignments
- Week 5 - Effective Speaking (July 2, 2020)
- Week 5 - Effective Speaking (Slides)
- Resources (Links to Ted Talks)
- Effective Speaking - 7 "C"s Worksheet
- Effective Speaking - Questionnaire
- Speaker Training - Best Practices (Handout)
- Assignment -- Practice Speaking!
- Week 6 - Feedback (Class Recording)
- Week 6 - Feedback (Slides)
- Feedback Worksheet
- HBR - The Feedback Fallacy - Week 6
Paula is a lawyer and certified executive coach. She helps law students and lawyers thrive by creating unique, high impact on line programs that build on her experience as a lawyer and lawyer coach while virtually connecting people and ideas. Paula is passionate about helping others shine and welcomes you to her learning community!