identify core values that motivate you in your work
develop professional goals that align with those values
cultivate a community that supports you and your goals
manage your time in alignment with your goals
communicate effectively, in writing and speaking
identify, interpret and grow from feedback
This six week program runs from Wednesday, September 16, 2020 to Wednesday, October 14, 2020. Classes are at noon PT on Wednesdays, by Zoom. Lessons are recorded, in case you can't attend live.
Please register by Friday, September 11, 2020.
The price is C$189 including GST.
For more details about the topics covered, see the "Curriculum" section below.
This course has been approved for 6 hours of CPD credit (including 2 hours of professional responsibility and ethics and practice management) by the Law Society of British Columbia.
If you'd like a sense of how the classes are taught, and how you would find me as an instructor, I invite you to watch this webinar replay about virtual networking for lawyers. Just click the play button, and you'll get a sense of what you can expect. Skip ahead to 40 minutes to learn more about the course:
When and how long is the course?
The course begins on Wednesday, September 16, 2020 and ends on Wednesday, October 21, 2020. There will be a live one hour Zoom class each week on Wednesday at noon PT.
What if I miss a class?
Classes will be recorded and the video recordings will be posted on the learning platform, along with other resources like worksheets, slides and links to supporting material.
Is there homework?
There will be one hour of instruction plus assignments (optional) each week. The assignments will take less than one hour and are intended to promote the application of skills learned. Participants can do more or less depending on their other commitments.
Will I get a grade?
No. One purpose of this course is to promote self-directed learning and self-evaluation. You will decide what your goals are for the course and you'll decide how you perform in relation to them.
Will I interact with you and other learners?
There will be opportunities for discussion during the live classes and participants will be invited to include their names and contact information on a shared class list (optional).
What equipment do I need for this course?
The course will be done virtually, with live Zoom calls. The course materials are hosted on a cloud based learning platform. The proposed assignments would be done on a laptop or PC.
Does the course count for CPD credit?
Yes, the course has been approved for 6 hours of CPD credit (including 2 hours of professional responsibility and ethics and practice management) by the Law Society of British Columbia.
Do I need to be working at a law firm to take this course?
No. The lessons in this course are suitable for lawyers who seek to focus on their professional skills as well as students who want to learn how to put their best foot forward in a professional setting. Diversity in the class enriches the learning experience for everyone.
I am an internationally trained lawyer. Can I take this course?
Yes. The nature and material covered in this is course will help you build connections with colleagues, build confidence and develop skills to thrive in a professional environment.
- Tips to Make the Most of This Program
- Course Calendar, Outline and Links to Resources
- Uplevel Professionalism - Questionnaire
- Setting the Framework for Professional Growth - Course Overview, Goal Setting, Communication Styles (Lesson Recording)
- Setting the Framework for Professional Growth (Slides)
- Goal Setting - SMART Goal Handout
- Growth Mindset - Link to Ted Talk
- Assignments for Week 1
- Your Professional Relationships | Creating a Market for Your Work (Lesson Recording)
- Week 2 - Your Professional Relationships | Creating a Market for Your Work (Slides)
- On Line Resources - Networking, Interviewing, Creating a Market for Your Work
- A Law Student's Guide to In Firm Interviews
- Protocol: Strategies for Managing Time and Expectations Around Work Assignments
- DISC Handout
- Assignments for Week 2
- Professionalism and Time Management (Lesson Recording)
- Hyperlinks to Time Management Resources
- Time Management Self Assessment
- Assignment for Week 3
- Professionalism and Time Management - Slides
- Writing in a Law Firm (Video)
- Week 4 - Effective Writing (Slides)
- Writing Resources
- Self Assessment Form for Editing Written Work
- Assignment for Week 4
- Effective Speaking (Lesson Recording)
- Week 5 - Effective Speaking (slides)
- Effective Speaking - 7 "C"s Worksheet
- Effective Speaking - Questionnaire
- Speaker Training - Best Practices (Handout)
- Online Resources
- Assignment for Week 5
- Feedback (Lesson Recording)
- Feedback (Slides)
- HBR - The Feedback Fallacy
- Feedback Worksheet
- Hyperlinks to Feedback Resources
Paula is a former litigator and ICF certified executive coach (ACC). She helps lawyers and law students thrive through coaching and creating high impact on line programs that build on her experience as a lawyer and coach for lawyers. If you have questions about how she can help you, send her an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.